Wednesday, December 27, 2017

On the Job Front

A year ago I quit my job. I have prayed and waited and listened. Everyday I ask God to lead me in the right direction. I wish I could say that the perfect job came my way or that doors have been opened and I am here to share the good news of what lies ahead. But I cannot. In fact, my experience has been quite the opposite. 

I scan job postings regularly and there does not seem to be a job suited for me in Waco. Yes, there are teaching positions in the district, however I don't feel that is where God is calling me right now. Teaching and working with ELL and Bilingual students are my God given passions. However, every time I consider going back to the classroom, I hear God whisper..."Don't look back. Look up. Look ahead. Trust me." Look ahead to what? I have no idea. 

I have been praying very generically for a year. I have prayed for a job where I can use my gifts and talents and with reasonable work hours. The other night I could not sleep. I felt God speaking to me. I think He wants for me to pray more specifically. Ask and you shall receive He says. I have feared asking for what I really want for the future. What if it is too much? What if I fail miserably? Shouldn't I be grateful for what I already have? Who am I to ask for more? Be content.... I have always found conflict and struggled with the concepts of "ask and you shall receive vs. be content." Is there any equilibrium between the two? I really don't know, but I am willing to explore it bit. 

As I wave goodbye to 2017, I shall set my eyes on what is ahead and pray more specifically in 2018. As much as I do not want to be inwardly focused or selfish with my prayer time, I will be more intentional and ask God for the desires of my heart. I think I know what I am going to pray for, but I am still much too vulnerable right now to share with others. In the meantime, I will teach an ESL methods class, seek part time work with the school district, be available to my family, and I will hold on to God's promises and His Word. 




"Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead",



-Philippians  3:13

Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”
-Luke 9:62

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."
-Isaiah 43:18-19

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
-Jeremiah 29:11

"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
-Proverbs 16:3

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
-Philippians 1:6


No comments: